Monday, February 22, 2010

Generous Jillian

***UPDATED***
(scroll down for more!)


Mom, how much money do I have in my savings account?



Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure Jillian. But I think it's somewhere between 200 and 300 hundred dollars.



In my head, I'm wondering what she's got her heart set on now - Ivy, her American Girl Doll's best friend? A certain Nintendo ds game? The latest light up, blinged out Skechers that run $50? But I should have known better because in her heart, my middle child is a giver.



I want to give money to Haiti.



gasp! Such a kind and gentle spirit exists in my sweet Jillybean. She voted to add a meal that she doesn't like to the lunch menu simply because three of her friends wanted it. After all, I can just bring a cold lunch that day! Disagreeing over which movie to watch on movie night? Jillian will choose the movie her brother or sister want just to make them happy. Home from school on Presidents' Day, we watched Ellen give a viewer $20,000. Jillian announced that if Ellen gave her $20,000, she'd bring it to her 1st grade teacher to buy 'stuff we need for our classroom.' Prayers at bedtime follow a pattern in our family. We ask each child three questions: what are you thankful for, sorry for, and who do you want to pray for today. Each night Jillian struggles to find someone who really, really needs her prayers. This is Jesus in my little 6 year old girl - goodness, kindness, gentleness, peace, joy - expressed in many ways every day. Big and small. And this was big.

We checked the balance of her bank account, which was close to $250. (An account that grows with each birthday, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's day or any other time she recieves gifts of money. They are never to young to learn to be wise with their money.)

I want to give one hundred dollars!

Really?

Yeah, really - 100 dollars to help the people of Haiti get the things they need.

Wow. More than one-third of her savings account to help those in need. In itself, that kindness is enough from my sweet, joyful 1st grader. But as we talked about Haiti, I knew her generosity could inspire others to give as well.

So will YOU join Jillian?

I challenge each of you to match her generous gift to Haiti - $100!

She is extremely excited at the idea that because of her gift and this challenge on my blog, Haiti will recieve so much more. We are donating Jillian's gift (and our matching gift) to the Haiti Earthquake disaster relief through Compassion International - a Christian child advocacy ministry.

Please prayerfully consider joining Jillian in her donation -- and then leave your comment to let us know your gift was made so that we can show how much her $100 grew!

Blessings,
Ann


How will the money be used? Compassion International breaks down the uses for donations to Haiti in this way:

$25 provides clean drinking to a family for a week

$50 helps feed a family with food such as rice, beans, canned meat, and oil for a week

$100 provides basic medical supplies for a church partner to treat up to 50 patients

$500 helps provide critical life items like temporary shelter, blankets and clothing for up to 10 families

$1500 helps to rebuild a home

You can also give through any other organization of your choosing, such as the American Red Cross. Unable to give $100? Give what you can - every dollar donated can make a difference!

NEED AN INCENTIVE? Donate BY FEBRUARY 28th and you can deduct it from your 2009 taxes!!!

Keep praying . . .








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I knew there was something special about that little lady. I made my heart flutter. Give her a huge hug from Uncle Aaron.

MAV06 said...

So as I am reading this post, tears are running down my face. Jillian, I am so proud of you! I'll check with Uncle A and see if he has made our contribution, and if not, I will match your donation.
Love you,
Auntie V

G'ma S said...

aaaahhhh...Jillian :-) You're certainly our girl with a vision, a mission and a heart for Jesus :-) G'ma S is on board to match your donation and share in your mission. Hope to see you when we get down that way on Saturday! Miss you & love you bunches!!!

Anonymous said...

Jillian, you are such an inspiration!! Love and miss you tons. G&G Steensma

Uncle Aaron and Auntie Vicki said...

Auntie Vicki and Uncle Aaron both donated $100 in honor of one of their favorite nieces. Hope they are able to help many Haitian children with our money. Jillian, you ROCK!!