Friday, April 20, 2007

3 am

As a mother with an infant, I am used to getting up in the middle of the night. Typically, I hear Elliott crying through the monitor and I stumble half-awake into his room. Back into my bed I go, with the little man in my arms. I change him and feed him in a state of semi-consciousness. Somehow, I am aware enough of the situation to realize when he is finished nursing and I lift him to my shoulder to burp him. Inevitably, he snuggles in on my chest and I doze off. This is not quality sleep, as I am worried that he'll roll off me, I'll drop him over the side of the bed, or more likely, daddy will roll over and squish us both! So, with my eyes only open enough to navigate my way back down the hall, I tuck Elliott back into his crib. All of this I can do without totally opening my eyes or truly being alert.

However, there are 3 words that will snap me out of a deep sleep immediately and send me flying out of bed at the speed of light. Moms, you know what they are -- "mommy, I'm sick!" I think I knew Delaney was there before she spoke. And we were in the bathroom, head in toilet in a split second! And today, I am a zombie with the combined needs of an infant and a sick girl keeping me up most of the night!

No comments: